The curriculum is structured around seminars/coursework and hands-on film production experience
Students join a seminar for their specialization, where they master essential techniques and key concepts. In addition, the department emphasizes a holistic approach to learning about cinema through coursework including cinema theory and documentary films.
The hands-on film production experience consists of 4 studios (Orientation Studio, Summer Studio, Winter Studio/Production Development, and Documentary Studio*), as well as a final graduation film. The department covers the production costs, depending on the scope of the film. The first-year production focuses on working as a team with other crew members and developing individual technical expertise. The second-year production provides an opportunity to further explore cinematic expression. For the final graduation film, students are expected to utilize their technical skills and knowledge of the creative process to produce top-calibre works for submission to international film festivals.
Further information on studio work and graduation films:
- Orientation Studio: faculty members lead students in the production of short films to gain an overall understanding of the production workflow
- Summer Studio: Students work in groups to produce short films
- Winter Studio (Production Development): Students from the Producing Course develop film proposals and students work in groups to produce short films
- Documentary Studio: Students from different courses work together to produce documentary shorts
- Graduation film: Students work in groups to produce the graduation films. The thesis on the work serves as the master’s degree graduation thesis (for students in the Scriptwriting Course, the feature-length script serves this purpose).
|Compulsory subject A||Cinematic Creation Workshop I and II||All teachers|
|Compulsory subject B||Theory of Cinematic Representation and Technology||Takefumi Tsutsui|
|Film and Filmmaker||Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Nobuhiro Suwa|
|Scriptwriting||Yuji Sakamoto and others|
|Documentary Film Study I and II||Takefumi Tsutsui|
|Optional subject A||Seminar: Cinematic Expression I and II||Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Nobuhiro Suwa|
|Seminar: Film Production I and II||Toshihiro Isomi,
Hiroyuki Nagashima, Takefumi Tsutsui
|Optional subject B||Theory of Narrative||Ryuta Miyake|
|Contemporary Art||Yohei Kurose|
|Manga Studies||Yukari Shiina|
|Photography and Its History||Yoshiaki Kai|
|Media and Expression Skills||Minoru Kimura, Kazuyuki Baba,
|Music Theory of the Moving Image||Hiroyuki Nagashima|
|International Cinema and Cultural History||Karen Severns|